[Gta04-owner] Some questions about the GTA04A4

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 20:20:15 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Jonathan Wilson <jfwfreo at tpgi.com.au> wrote:
> 2.Which model PowerVR GPU does the GTA04A4 contain? What is the status of
> drivers for it? Will it be like every other PowerVR mobile device in
> existence and rely on binary userland libraries for the GPU or has the GTA04
> team found a way to produce an open source 3D driver for the GPU somehow?

We (the GTA04 core team) do not have the ressources to reverse
engineer the PowerVR driver.
I got the binary driver working for the framebuffer, Xorg support is
still pending. But if you don't want it, there is no need to use it to
get a usable GUI.

> and 3.Are there any other binary bits required for the hardware in the
> device? (e.g. binary bits for the GPS or for WiFi/Bluetooth configuration as
> seen on many other smartphones)

The WiFi/BT chip needs a binary firmware, but there is a project which
aims to replace it: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Thinfirm_1.5
I tried their latest code a few month ago and I could load the driver
and scan for networks but I did not get a reliable connection. It may
be possible to fix the remaining issues to get a working and free
firmware.

Of course we would be happy if someone points us to a WiFi module
which runs without closed firmware. :)

Regards,
  Christoph