[Gta04-owner] Antwort: Re: Amazing adventures with a brandnew GTA04...

Lionel Broche lionel.broche at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 09:10:41 CET 2012

On 11 February 2012 09:32, Boudewijn <wankelwankel at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Friday 10 February 2012 23:00:02 Jack Jones wrote:
> > some sims most  dont seem to be hot swapable but if you catch the code at
> > the riight  place you might get some sort of bastardized or not
> > connection,Ive found a modem that works without a sim! it has a slot but
> > once your subscribed and connected to a provider you can take the sim out
> > and it still connects!
>
> I once heard someone saying the SIM is (techincally) not needed anymore.
> Telco's can (and do) mandate the use, because that way it is much easier to
> bind the customer/consumer. As long as people believe it's necessary, they
> won't balk and demand more transparency and flexibility.

Just adding my two pence:
I don't know if it is the same everywhere but in Japan the IPads are linked
to one phone provider. They cannot be modified to fit with another: if you
want to travel, you have to pay for the connection fees from your Japanese
company or to buy another IPad from the country you go to (which may
actually be less expensive...).
So there does not seem to be any SIM in the IPad, or maybe it is included
inside from factory. If there is no SIM at all (which may be easy to check
if anyone with an IPad is willing to open it) then it is definitely
possible to access the phone network from software solutions only.

Lionel