[Gta04-owner] Flashing new GTA04 so that they work out of the box

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:18:23 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:
> On Friday 10 February 2012 10:30:48 Christoph Mair wrote:
>
>> It may be possible to sell SD cards with preinstalled distros.
>> Flashing them on demand is a lot more complex.
>
> In what way is it complex? I was flashing QtMoko to NAND and it was fairly
> trivial and fast something like:
>
> 1/ boot from SD card
> 2/ flash_erase
> 3/ nandwrite kernel, rootfs
> 4/ reboot

The flashing itself isn't the problem here. It'x the logistics that
gets more complicated. As we do not have a "flash on order" robot and
usually the tested units are shipped from stock it would get more
complicated to differntiate between distributions too. Example: we
have 5 QtMoko and 5 SHR devices on stock and 7 orders arrive for SHR
we have to reflash a few units, or the order has to wait until we get
new boards from the factory (which is not really a option because it
introduces unnecessary wait states).

It might be possible to offer a "Demo SD card" where the user can boot
into each distro, play around and then flash whatever he likes most.
As I said, we are working on this. If someone already has such a setup
I'd be happy to get a copy ;-)

Best regards,
  Christoph