[Gta04-owner] Flashing new GTA04 so that they work out of the box

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:10:51 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 10:55, Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:

> On Friday 10 February 2012 10:30:48 Christoph Mair wrote:
>
> > It may be possible to sell SD cards with preinstalled distros.
> > Flashing them on demand is a lot more complex.
>
> In what way is it complex? I was flashing QtMoko to NAND and it was fairly
> trivial and fast something like:
>
> 1/ boot from SD card
> 2/ flash_erase
> 3/ nandwrite kernel, rootfs
> 4/ reboot
>
> If you have SD card with everything prepared it can be matter of 10
> minutes. I
> can do SD card which will boot to GUI where you just press:
>
> 1/ install debian
> 2/ install SHR
> 3/ install anything else....

What about something like this:
1) The user could simply buy or prepare a uSD card.
On the uSD, there should be a NAND image on the
first partition.
2) The user inserts the uSD card.
3) In the boot menu, select "copy from SD to NAND"
4) Reboot.

That would, IMHO, be the most userfriendly.

In the distro, there could be a program for fetching a
a nand image from the web and saving it in the correct
place on the uSD.

This simple software could let the user select which distro
and distro-version she wants.