[Gta04-owner] Amazing adventures with a brandnew GTA04...

Sven Dyroff S.Dyroff at phytec.de
Thu Feb 9 11:36:52 CET 2012

Hello,

I'm completely new to Openmoko. Thanks to Golden Delicious on monday I
received the brandnew GTA04A4. For 29 EUR I got a 16 GB Class 10
Micro-SD-Card. Yesterday I put the brandnew QtMoko v39 on it and began to
start. I think it can be useful for you if I tell you the adventures I
then experienced...   ;-))

Thanks to this mailinglist I already knew that it's not recommended to
start without a SIM plugged in. So after passing the first pictures with
touch calibrating and typing in PIN I looked a little bit around in the
menues and then of course I wanted to explore if it's possible to phone
with the phone. I typed in the number of my currently used mobile and the
miracle happend that it really began to ring. Then I touched the cancel
button because I didn't want to spend money in order to phone with myself.
The GTA04A4 returned to the previous screen. But the other mobile
continued to ring and to ring and to ring... In the end I stopped it by
pressing the cancel button on it, too...  ;-))

Then I tried to call the GTA04A4. It really began to ring. Exactly once.
Then it showed "1 missed call". Then it rang again. Then it showed a
second message "1 missed call". Then it rang again... In the end I pressed
the cancel button on my mobile...   ;-))

After that I explored the menues of telephone contacts and calls and so on
more deeply. I wanted to remove the "missed call"-messages. But where on
earth is the "delete"-button? I tried everything, but the messages are
still there, just jamming the list...   :-(

OK, I became more brave. I explored the telephone settings, searching for
the possibility to enter my APN. After little time I found it. I got the
field "APN" and a blinking cursor. But how on earth should I enter letters
with a touch without showing a keyboard? I tried and found a menu with the
entry "change input method" and with that I got a keyboard shown. It
showed only letters. How should I enter the period with that, needed for
the APN? No chance! No period!   :-(    I thought that all the others of
you (the GTA04-community) also must have managed to enter their APN and so
I began a struggle with the GTA04 and after some time and only by accident
I got another keyboard. It was such microscopic little that it was
impossible to decode the meaning of some keys, but at least it offered me
a period. So I won the fight! I succeded to enter the two periods for the
APN.    \o/  \o/  \o/

Of course my next step was to search for a browser. But in this case, the
GTA04 won the fight. I searched and searched and searched, but couldn't
find a browser. Is there one already included in QtMoko v39 ?

Second question: On my way to find the possibility the APN I accidently
touched the wrong button. Instead of "GPRS" I activated "Ethernet" (the
menu entry once above). But where's the possibility to remove this entry
again? No possibility to delete it any more...  :-(

I played some more with some features I found randomly and more and more I
got the impression that it's really nice and lovely. Yes I already really
like it! And while you're fixing lots of crazy bugs (yes, when ordering
the GTA04 from Golden Delicious I've been aware that this will be my
ticket for entering a mine field...) I only have some more hopefully
simple questions:

- How can I supply my own ring tones?
- How can I supply a "video ring tone"?
- How can I use IrDA if I don't want to open the case in order to access
UART3 with a terminal from my Ubuntu 11.04 PC?
- How can I switch off the display? It doesn't make any sence that it's
constantly on even when not being used for hours?

Best regards,
   Sven