[Gta04-owner] An attempt to 3d-print battery a cover with the hole

Denis Shulyaka shulyaka at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 07:32:09 CET 2012

2012/2/9 Alexander Lehner <lehner at edv-buero-lehner.de>:

> (comments below)
>

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2012, Denis Shulyaka wrote:
>
>> 2012/2/9 Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>>>
>>> Cool!

>>> How robust do the snap joints feel?
>>>
>>> During FOSDEM we asked Wim (from KD85.com) to print the cover on
>>> his MakerBot. It worked out astonishingly well, but the joints broke off
>>> very fast.
>>>
>>> Nikolaus
>>>

>> They are much more robust than I expected, I don't think they will
>> break off soon. In fact, I can even tilt them almost 45 degrees
>> pushing really hard without damaging them.
>

> What was the price for this piece?
>
> I've ordered the battery cover at shapeways from Lukas in the 'frosted ultra
> detailed' material for $40 without shipping.
> Details were really excellent, the look more or less disappointing (don't
> care) but I broke one snap joint quite quickly.
>
> Alex.

The price was €35.70 without shipping. I had ordered at shapeways
first but they canceled my order saying that they can only ship with
UPS and UPS didn't ship to Russia. This is strange because
i.materialise shipped the model to me via UPS quite successfully.

Note that I've made the joints about 0.2 mm thicker than Lukas and
there is enough room to make them even more thick.