[Gta04-owner] Debian/SD card installation instructions

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Dec 22 17:43:10 CET 2012

Am 22.12.2012 um 01:21 schrieb arne anka:

> after apprently having screwed up my debian/sid on sd beyond booting (just reverted from kernel 3.5 back to 2.6.32 and then the GTA04 refused to boot from SD), i attempt to set up a new SD card.
> but the installation instructions as per
>
>> http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/
>
> rather confuse me -- they still talk of makesd, boot.scr and other stuff i seem to recall to be obsolete for a while now.
>
>> http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-rootfs/
>
> even mentions still the "special format" the SD card supposedly needs.
> on the other hand i am unable to patch up a valid and concise description from the list.
>
> is there a clear, consistent and up-to-date description somewhere how to go about installing a normal, production (no flash/u-boot/qui/... update or whatever) ready debian?

Unfortunately not. I may find some time over the holidays to fixe the descriptions...

Generally:
* makesd and boot.scr are not obsolete
* boot.scr is stored in NAND flash by means of the hw-validation image
* if the NAND boot system is broken, you need them to reflash (unbrick) the boot system
* for installing the hw-validation image on a SD card the makesd script is useful
* this bootstrapping still needs the special formatting if the X-Loader in NAND is broken (which rarely is)

For running (not flashing):
* you need a kernel, kernel modules and a rootfs
* you can expand the Debian rootfs from the hw-validation kernel on a single (or any) ext3 partition on the SD card
* and copy the kernel to /boot/uImage
* and expand the correct kernel modules
* and apply depmod -a (if the kernel boots fine, you can already do that on the GTA04)
* then you can update/modify/debootstrap what you like

Or even simpler:
* makesd a hw-validation image
* copy the kernel from the FAT boot partition to /boot
* delete the FAT partition

This should result in a SD card with Debian using the boot loader from NAND.

Hope this helps - if not, please let me know so that the instructions mentioned
above can be improved in the right direction.