[Gta04-owner] Debian/SD card installation instructions

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Dec 22 17:31:28 CET 2012

"arne anka" <openmoko at ginguppin.de> writes:

> is there a clear, consistent and up-to-date description somewhere how
> to go about installing a normal, production (no
> flash/u-boot/qui/... update  or whatever) ready debian?

Not that I know of.

Arne, you're asking a lot of detailed questions about a non-standard
setup, and not getting a lot of answers - as I'm sure you've noticed
too!  Something to be aware of is that the GTA04 community is (so far)
much smaller than the GTA01/02 community, and it's correspondingly more
difficult for that community to support a lot of different setups.

Specifically, there hasn't been much done yet on non-QtMoko Debian, and
if you want to follow that path I suspect you'll have to do a lot of the
legwork and working things out yourself.  Of course it's still
absolutely sensible to ask questions on the mailing list first, just in
case.

I tried to follow the Debian path too in my early GTA04 days, and if
you're interested in that you could look at the following references.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdXlN9WentY
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-February/001427.html
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-February/001678.html
http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-February/001736.html

But after a while I felt it was just too hard and that I should take
another look at QtMoko, and actually I haven't looked back since then:
QtMoko is a pretty nice system.

Regards,
        Neil