[Gta04-owner] Alu case - gps hole

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Dec 10 21:17:07 CET 2012

Am 10.12.2012 um 13:24 schrieb Radek Polak:

> Hi,
> Vladimir has now designed hole in the alu case so that the GPS antenna has
> signal. The hole will be filled with plasic part so that the GPS singal can go
> in. It's not yet manufactured, but comments are welcome. You can see the
> pictures here (4 photos):
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/114961040002008630266/GTA04AluCase#5820291206877731474
>
> Do you think that it will work?

I have asked a friend who is RF engineer and he recommends to use a low-loss
material (polystrene) for the insert and make it as small/thin as possible because
that will de-tune the antenna - as well as the metal around.

IMHO there is also one positive effect of the metal. It attenuates the noise generated
by the SD card clock (63th harmonic * 25.0000 MHz = 1575 MHz). So even if the
received signals are weaker the self-generated noise should also be weaker.

So it is worth an experiment...