[Gta04-owner] 3.0.8 kernel for Android/Replicant

Paul Kocialkowski paulk at paulk.fr
Tue Dec 4 19:39:15 CET 2012

Le mardi 04 décembre 2012 à 16:31 +1100, NeilBrown a écrit :
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 09:54:58 +1100 NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> > The display problem seems to be caused by the backlight not working.
> > I didn't manage to find out why in a quick look, but you can work around it
> > for now with:
>
> Actually, go with this instead - it makes the backlight work properly.
>
> Something is going wrong with runtime power management code and old register
> values are being 'restored' on top of the new ones.
>
> I'm not sure this is really the perfect fix, but it works and will do.

Thanks, I included the fix in the tree and it solves the issue as
expected. I updated my git repo with the latest changes, now panel works
nicely and I added minor changes to have TSC2007 working properly as
well. With this, the Android UI starts and looks usable.

> I also added a couple of other fixes to the pwm code so that e.g. if you set
> the brightness to the value that it already is, you will now not get a
> flicker.

Thanks for that fix too, I'll include it later as well. By the way, are
you ok with me making commits of your work (I added your signed-off
though). If you prefer sending patchs that clearly state that you are
the author of the work, that's fine with me.

> I haven't looked into the power-down issue at all.

Might very well be because some of the twl4030 scripts had to be
disabled because of a build issue on the board file. I'll look a bit at
how beagleboard and other twl4030 boards handle it and try to
reproduce/adapt.

> You might have noticed there is a problem with the serial port in that it
> will swallow the first keystroke after a pause.  I know what causes this -
> it is runtime power management again.  I think if you set the baudrate to
> 9600 or lower it will work properly.  It can be fixed for real, but I don't
> remember exactly how just at the moment.

I didn't quite notice the issue before now, but it indeed actually
happens. It's not a major issue for now.

Though, I have noticed a similar behaviour with the TSC2007 touchscreen:
when I use the touchscreen and then stop for a while (usually a couple
seconds), the next tap on the screen won't be handled, and I have to
repeat it another time or two to have the UI to react. I didn't
investigate much yet, but it definitely looks like a kernel-side issue.

Thanks again for your generous help!
My code is still up at:
http://git.paulk.fr/gitweb/?p=replicant/kernel-gta04.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/replicant-4.0

--