[Gta04-owner] [QtMoko] RFC: UI for adding Search to NeronGPS

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 31 01:13:57 CEST 2012

On Friday 31 August 2012 01:00:44 xdrudis wrote:
> > - Alternatively, the results could instead be shown in text form in the
> >
> >   search dialog, with a "Go to" button for each one.
>
> Also good, I think it depends on the use case. Sometimes you want to
> read the description first, (ideally being able to delete results
> from the search) and sometimes you want to see where they are before
> reading any description.

Maybe a combination of the two. Looking at my own use of geographical data, I
often want to look up the closest by instance of an aptly named street.
Sometimes not.

If there'd be seven hits, three of which fall within the current zoom level.
They'd be shown on the map (and I would click one of those in 70%), and a box
at the bottom/top/.. saying "and 4 off screen". Depending on available space,
that could be "and 4 off screen, click to zoom out" or "4 hits at 43km, 223km,
234km and 10234km". Even with my subliminal geographical sense would be able
to realize that for my holiday destination it's not the one at 43km, but at
10234km, while for visiting a friend in the same country but not same province
it's one of the 200-ish locations.

Nice idea to start a discussion like this!

Boudewijn