[Gta04-owner] [QtMoko] RFC: UI for adding Search to NeronGPS
neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Thu Aug 30 22:05:09 CEST 2012
I'm interested in adding a Search facility to NeronGPS, using
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/, but I'm not sure what would be the
best UI, so would appreciate ideas or input on this.
I think the starting point has to be a dialog with text entry, where the
user types in what they want to search for. In future there could also
be voice input and voice recognition, but let's assume text entry for
Given that, http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/ will return a list of
possible places, each with coordinates and a description, so the
question is what to do with those.
- We could show them all as markers on the map. But that raises the
question of what to do if some of them are outside the current map.
Any automatic shifting or zooming of the map might cause unwanted
new downloading, and/or show areas of black for a while. Options
- Not shifting or zooming the map at all. The only markers that will
be visible straightaway are those within the current bounds. Other
markers would become visible as/when the user shifted/zoomed the map
so as to cover them.
- Shifting and zooming the map as much as is needed to show all the
returned markers, and never mind the implications.
- Shifting and zooming up to some configurable limits, so as to show
as many markers as those limits allow.
- Alternatively, the results could instead be shown in text form in the
search dialog, with a "Go to" button for each one.
In addition it would be nice to have an integration with the POI (Point
of Interest) function.
- All search results could automatically become POIs, or alternatively a
new temporary kind of POI that only lasts until a different search is
- If the map is on or close enough to a search result, and the user
selects to make a POI, the POI name is automatically initialised from
the search result description.
More information about the Gta04-owner