[Gta04-owner] QtMoko mic volume

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Aug 25 00:30:50 CEST 2012

NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> writes:

> On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 19:43:43 +0100 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
> wrote:

>> Next, after a lot of thinking and googling, I noticed Andreas Kemnade's
>> kernel patch for A4 HW routing [1], and wondered if it could cause a
>> problem for the A3 SW routing (in particular "disables mcbsp4_dx") ...
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/radekp/linux-2.6/commit/f43ce5c444de7db988ad214257f4a6ac0e49308d
>>
>> NeilB's 3.2-gta04 branch doesn't have that patch, so I pulled and
>> rebuilt that, thinking that it would be a simple replacement for the
>> QtMoko kernel.
>>
>> However, after installing that kernel and its modules, now my boot
>> doesn't complete...
>>
>> There are 2 identical uImage files in QtMoko: one on the VFAT partition,
>> and one at /boot in the rootfs.  My first guess was to replace both of
>> those with the new uImage.  After that the phone started booting but
>> skipped the SD/NAND selection screen, and went to a screen with small
>> Tux in the top left corner.  After that nothing more happened, and
>> plugging in the USB cable wasn't recognised by my laptop.
>>
>> Then I thought maybe I should only replace the uImage in the QtMoko
>> rootfs, so I put the VFAT uImage back as it was before.  Now, when the
>> phone boots, I get the SD/NAND selection screen, and choose SD as
>> usual.  After that I get the screen with small Tux, and nothing else -
>> same as above.
>>
>> Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
>
> What .config file did you use to build the kernel?  My gta04_defconfig, or
> the one from the qtmoko kernel?

Your one.

Then I realised I should just fetch Radek's repository too and look for
any differences between his v3.2-gta04-qtmoko-v47 and your 3.2-gta04.
As well as your recent sensor work, the big difference was the use of an
initramfs; I guess there are probably aspects of the boot process or
QtMoko rootfs that rely on that.

Anyway, finally I have good news.  After building Radek's
v3.2-gta04-qtmoko-v47 kernel - except without Andreas's patch ([1]
above) - and also after reverting the corresponding alsa state change in
the QtMoko rootfs [2], audio works again in both directions of a phone
call.  So I think [1] was what broke audio for GTA04A3; reverting [2] is
needed because [1] adds more mixer controls and so changes what is
needed in the state files.

[2]
https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/commit/332f9e7fa5aa76083d55bc23ea622d41bd8c9eb3

I haven't yet looked at how to formalise this, i.e. to organise the
kernel code so that it works in future for both A3 and A4.  Can anyone
help with that?

Thanks,
        Neil