[Gta04-owner] I dropped my GTA04 :-(

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Aug 23 21:26:14 CEST 2012

Hi Benjamin,

Am 23.08.2012 um 14:00 schrieb Benjamin Deering:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Yesterday I dropped my gta04 from my desk while connected to usb.

Oops...

> After that it stopped charging.  When I opened the phone I found that the front pads and the data lines had ripped off from the connector.  A couple hours with the soldering iron and some urethane glue got the connector back on.  If you get your GTA04 and are planning to put it in a freerunner case, I recommend using a toothpick to put a little strong epoxy under the usb connecter (only where it won't interfere with fit) and letting it dry before installing it.
>
> The external gps antenna connector came off as well, but I don't think I will put it back.  It would just be for looks as I have no way of reconnecting the signal wire and only needing to clear the usb connector will make putting it back in the case easier.

Yes, reconnecting the signal pin is very difficile.

> Now with the connector back on, I see some strange behavior.  The red led comes on as soon as I put in a battery, or a second after I connect USB.  When I connect a battery, the phone boots.  I see tux,  the green led lights (but the red led stays lit), and usually I don't get to the next phase of boot (nand/mmc/1/2).  Once when I did, I connected usb and verified that the phone is detected as cdc_ether and pinged it from my laptop.  Even after it boots, the screen could go black at any time and the red led will stay lit, blinking occasionally.  Is the red led blinking some sort of low level debug?  It doesn't look like 'loose connection' blinking.

Which software variant/version do you have installed? Is it in NAND or on a SD card?

> Pictures are here: http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/2012/broken_gta04/, the last 3 are probably the most useful. The fibers in the pictures are cotton from wiping off flux.
>
> The schematics in the manual are pictures, so  I can't search for components to see what I worked near and what might cause this.  It is almost like the power button is down, but I didn't work near there and the button feels good.

Generally the LEDs are controlled through the TCA6507 connected to I2C2 by u-boot and the kernel only. I.e. they don't have a direct connection to the power management chip. Therefore it is strange that the red LED is always lit.

Some idea: the Power LED is close to the USB connector and is wired in the same area. Is it possible that you have done a short circuit to ground on a signal?

Debugging the "screen going black" issue is more difficult and appears to be not related to the LED issue. Do you have a RS232 cable to monitor the console?

> Thanks for any help,

We will try to help your poor accident patient...

Nikolaus Schaller