[Gta04-owner] I dropped my GTA04 :-(

Benjamin Deering ben_deering at swissmail.org
Thu Aug 23 14:00:33 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I dropped my gta04 from my desk while connected to usb.  After
that it stopped charging.  When I opened the phone I found that the
front pads and the data lines had ripped off from the connector.  A
couple hours with the soldering iron and some urethane glue got the
connector back on.  If you get your GTA04 and are planning to put it in
a freerunner case, I recommend using a toothpick to put a little strong
epoxy under the usb connecter (only where it won't interfere with fit)
and letting it dry before installing it.

The external gps antenna connector came off as well, but I don't think I
will put it back.  It would just be for looks as I have no way of
reconnecting the signal wire and only needing to clear the usb connector
will make putting it back in the case easier.

Now with the connector back on, I see some strange behavior.  The red
led comes on as soon as I put in a battery, or a second after I connect
USB.  When I connect a battery, the phone boots.  I see tux,  the green
led lights (but the red led stays lit), and usually I don't get to the
next phase of boot (nand/mmc/1/2).  Once when I did, I connected usb and
verified that the phone is detected as cdc_ether and pinged it from my
laptop.  Even after it boots, the screen could go black at any time and
the red led will stay lit, blinking occasionally.  Is the red led
blinking some sort of low level debug?  It doesn't look like 'loose
connection' blinking.

Pictures are here:
http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/2012/broken_gta04/, the last 3
are probably the most useful. The fibers in the pictures are cotton from
wiping off flux.

The schematics in the manual are pictures, so  I can't search for
components to see what I worked near and what might cause this.  It is
almost like the power button is down, but I didn't work near there and
the button feels good.

Thanks for any help,

Ben