[Gta04-owner] Qt upgrade eating battery?

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Sat Aug 11 00:40:50 CEST 2012

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 21:32:20 +0200 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
wrote:

> Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> writes:
>
> > Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes
> >
> >> Hmm interesting - you might try cherry-pick this commit:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/radekp/qtmoko/commit/d4dd8941585fe47cd30cc930276aff5852c5e2c9
> >>
> >> It will display current_now value on the home screen and even the power the
> >> phone took in suspend.
> >
> > Great, I will do that.
> >
> >> I have current_now after waking from suspend 35 mA - it used to be 25mA so
> >> maybe that is the problem.
>
> I'm still seeing rapid battery draining after a fresh v46 install (even
> with partitioning a new SD card).
>
> The last 4 times I've resumed, I've seen these numbers after the "/" on
> the homescreen:
>
> 334
> 219
> 317
> 204
>
> Also, the 3rd time, the red LED was on for some reason.  (It might have
> been on the 1st and 2nd times too, but I didn't notice.)
>
> I've also attached my dmesg below.  Any suggestions for what to do next
> to debug this?

Those numbers look like numbers for when the CPU is awake, but the kernel
logs clearly show the the device is going to sleep. e.g.

[12233.411468] PM: late suspend of devices complete after 1.983 msecs
[12981.035766] Successfully put all powerdomains to target state

is good to see. 748 seconds of real suspend.

So either
 1/ the numbers are misleading
 2/ something other than the CPU is sucking power.

1:  I'm guessing that the number here is an 'instantaneous current' read from
the battery and it is hoped that it is an old enough value to represent
current usage during suspend.  Maybe it is but I don't trust it.
If you really want to know how much current was used during suspend, you need
to sample the 'charge_now' value and the time before entering suspend, sample
them, again when waking up, then calculate
  (first_number - last_number) * 3600 / (last_timestamp - first_timestamp)

2: there isn't much that can draw 200 mA.  Maybe the wifi, but I'm pretty
sure that gets turned off at suspend.  Does the device feel warm at all
before you wake up.  I'm pretty sure that if it is really drawing  200mA
you'll notice the difference in temperature - particularly if it is in a
pocket where the heat cannot escape easily.

NeilBrown