[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v46

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Fri Aug 3 15:49:13 CEST 2012

Sven Dyroff <S.Dyroff at phytec.de> writes:

> Furthermore I tried NeronGPS, but unfortunately without any success. No fix
> even after 2 1/2 minutes, outside and with clear view to the sky in all
> directions. Your new satellite icon always says 0. An earlier version of QtMoko
> caught fixes, although with very weak reception (-> only outside and only with
> clear view to the sky in all directions).

I have two impressions about this.

(1) The QtMoko infrastructure for GPS (QWhereabouts) seems always to be
a bit slower than gpsd under Debian. I find it often takes a few minutes
to get a fix in QtMoko, whereas with gpsd it would usually be less than
a minute.  Perhaps there is something different going on with AGPS
information, or assumptions based on the last known GPS location, or
with the number of satellites that are needed to declare a fix.

(2) Occasionally the logic for "switch GPS on and make sure that it's
on" still makes a mistake - with the result that the GPS isn't really
on, and so you'll never get a fix.

I think (2) should be completely fixed by moving to a 3.5 kernel, where
Neil Brown has completely integrated the GPS-on logic inside the
kernel.  In the meantime, a workaround is simply to close and restart
NeronGPS; so if you don't have a fix after 5 minutes, I recommend doing
that.

Regards,
        Neil