[Gta04-owner] QtMoko v44

Martin Jansa martin.jansa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 21:40:02 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 09:10:39PM +0000, Radek Polak wrote:
> On Sunday 22 April 2012 19:30:02 Martin Jansa wrote:
>
> > There is small issue with ext4, README at
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtmoko/files/GTA04/
> > suggests to use ext4 for rootfs, but if you create ext4 partition with
> > e.g. extents, then booting will fail like this:
> > EXT3-fs (mmcblk0p2): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported
> > optional features (240)
>
> Do you have ext4 compiled in your kernel? You must select Y there.

Yes.. this was because of rootfstype which forced ext3 fs driver to be
used instead of trying all available fs drivers (e.g. ext2, ext3, ext4.. etc)

> > because boot.scr as well as default CMDLINE in kernel is passing
> > "rootfstype=ext3", I've changed defconfig in SHR and will send patch for
> > boot.scr.
>
> When using gta04-init as initramfs the rootfs and rootfstypes are ignored.
> Instead we mount root either according to bootdev file or if the file does not
> exist by clicking on icon.

Right.. but without gta04-init in SHR kernel it was trying to mount real
rootfs (with qtmoko) just after flashing SHR kernel instead of qtmoko
kernel.

gta04-init mounts it correctly, because is's trying fs in order ext4,
ext3, btrfs.. so my boot.txt patch just makes u-boot doing the same.

> > so now we have rootfstype=ext4,ubifs,jffs2,btrfs in defconfig
> > http://git.shr-project.org/git/?p=meta-smartphone.git;a=commit;h=c09e13fa3b
> > ec89fb51d3f8d5f6d7d8d6f5dbfcde and
> > setenv mmcrootfstype 'ext4,ext3,btrfs rootwait'
> > in boot.scr
> >
> > And also uImage should be included in qtmoko-fat-v44.tar.gz because
> > extload cannot read ext4 partition with rootfs.
>
> Good point, i have updated it and it has uImage now.
>
> > I've added gta04-init to SHR kernel to resolve it
> > http://git.shr-project.org/git/?p=meta-smartphone.git;a=commit;h=fac33bd0c4
> > ca2729aae23bcd106793489da26835 but it needs a bit more work, as now it
> > shows fb ui from initramfs and doesn't switch to xserver.
>
> Nice, btw is there already SHR tarball which i could try?

Yes,
http://build.shr-project.org/shr-core-staging/051/images/
has right uImage and today new images should be there, but yesterday I
got some issues with systemd on om-gta04, it seems like vfat partition
gets broken very soon and systemd switches to emergency mode when it
cannot mount it (or something like that).

Cheers,

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa at gmail.com