[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sun Apr 8 18:51:06 CEST 2012

Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> writes:

> I don't think this is relevant for our use case. I am not going to have
> duplicate Debian packages in 3rd party repositories. Debian has ~25000
> packages. You can create nearly any application that depends just on standard
> Debian libraries. Same goes for SHR.
>
> There should be simple rule for application developers: if you depend on
> library use the library from Debian, never duplicate it.
>
> And rule for users: if the application does not obey this rule, write negative
> comment and never let the application appear on "Recommended to install" list.
>
> And also - if you are not comfortable with adding third party repositories,
> don't do it. Download the .deb, install it manually. Whatever - but i don't
> personally want to do it - i just want to click and start using the app. And
> if you really really never want to add 3rd party repository, please fill bug
> against apt package - it let's you to do it from command line. I just want to
> write easy to use gui for that.
>
> Btw, there is 3rdparty qtmoko apt repository with 30 application in every
> QtMoko installation. I never heard someone had problem with it.

I guess this will be fine.  In the medium term, I hope application
authors will be motivated to add their packages into the main Debian
archive, or that a Debian maintainer will be motivated to do that for
them.  But that is a slightly onerous process, and so for the shorter
term it can work well to have additional GTA04-focussed repositories.

Also, adding a GTA04-suitable native application manager app can be done
later if it proves to be really needed.

Does it mean, though, that we all need to agree on the underlying Debian
version (stable, testing or unstable)?  What is that for QtMoko at the
moment?

Regards,
       Neil