[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sat Apr 7 15:43:07 CEST 2012

On Friday 06 April 2012 20:34:15 xdrudis wrote:

> You surely know more of what you're talking about than me, but
> mixing repositories has maintanability concerns for the future,
> and I don't feel comfortable with automatising it.
> I'm just not sure enough that packages from different repositories
> will always stay synchronized enough, won't create conflicts or
> missed dependencies.
>
> I guess it must mirror the experience with an application store,
> but it misses the integration provived by a team of distribution
> developers. I guess application stores get away with it thanks to
> strict APIs, contractual rules and reserving rights to override
> software and configurations, but I don't see all this as a good
> bargain.

You can inspect the package and check what it really does. This is quite
different from Android and Apple stores. E.g. i am going to install only
packages where i have source code.

We should also have some review process. Packages that are not reviewed should
be in "dangerous" or "playground" category so that user can easily choose just
reviewed and hight quality apps.

I can also implement simple option that removes the package repository after
the package is installed, if you are not comfortable with leaving the reposity
in apt sources.list

Regards

Radek