[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Radek Polak psonek2 at seznam.cz
Sat Apr 7 15:25:16 CEST 2012

On Saturday 07 April 2012 08:18:35 Glenn wrote:

> On 06/04/12 22.34, xdrudis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think xdrudis is right.
>
> Please read:
>
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Installing_alien_package

I don't think this is relevant for our use case. I am not going to have
duplicate Debian packages in 3rd party repositories. Debian has ~25000
packages. You can create nearly any application that depends just on standard
Debian libraries. Same goes for SHR.

There should be simple rule for application developers: if you depend on
library use the library from Debian, never duplicate it.

And rule for users: if the application does not obey this rule, write negative
comment and never let the application appear on "Recommended to install" list.

And also - if you are not comfortable with adding third party repositories,
don't do it. Download the .deb, install it manually. Whatever - but i don't
personally want to do it - i just want to click and start using the app. And
if you really really never want to add 3rd party repository, please fill bug
against apt package - it let's you to do it from command line. I just want to
write easy to use gui for that.

Btw, there is 3rdparty qtmoko apt repository with 30 application in every
QtMoko installation. I never heard someone had problem with it.

Regards

Radek