[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Andreas Kemnade andreas at kemnade.info
Thu Apr 5 14:48:46 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 09:28 +1000, NeilBrown wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 16:10:34 +0200 Radek Polak <psonek2 at seznam.cz> wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, April 04, 2012 02:09:42 PM NeilBrown wrote:
> >
> > > To make an app shop work you would really need to choose one platform.
> > > Would that be qtmoko? or FSO? or KDE plama? Android?
> >
> > I'd mix them all together ;-) Maybe adding some filter for distro specific.
>
> I would suggest that if you had multiple platforms (distros) then an
> appropriate platform filter should be the default.  I think the idea is the
> make it more accessible to more naive users and confusing people with options
> they cannot choose is not a good idea.
>
> And presumably some apps could be multi-platform..
>

> > It would be nice if distros could provide easy way how to install these apps
> > from shop - e.g. one click in browser.
>
> that should be easy enough: just set up a default handler for a particular
> MIME type.
> Managing and uninstalling might be more of a challenge, but is just as
> important.

Don't we have already tools for managing .debs and .ipk/opk which
already have several options for selection?
Why we need a web browser here?
Maybe just adding a filter for applications which are easy to use with
fingers on a small touch screen should be enough? .debs have already
some tagging system.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade