[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 4 14:19:47 CEST 2012

Am 04.04.2012 um 14:10 schrieb Sven Dyroff:

> >> We should be careful here. "The spirit of a free phone" should IMHO
> >> not include non-free applications. I have nothing against an
> >> application store so that users can easily browse for a software
> >> package, and with a click or two have that package downloaded,
> >> verified, and installed, all for some price. But that software should
> >> be free software as well.
> >
> > I agree.  A nice application to install *free* software on the phone,
> > perhaps with reviews and other niceties, maybe even the facility to make
> > donations, would increase the phone's appeal to non-technical users.
> > However, irrespective of the freedom of the software, I think this is an
> > issue for distributions to attack in their own way.
>
> I also agree.
>
> a) As I already mentioned I've learned not to trust any stuff on a smartphone that is not open source. Data on your smartphone are one of the most private you have and therefore they're most wanted by others who want to exploit them for making money or for other reasons. But contrary to a PC where you have the option to power on an external router to the internet only on demand and to monitor this connection with the LEDs of an hub or an switch, this device is unsupervised online mostly all the time.
>
> b) I think it's a good idea to have the possibility not only to make ratings (like: "AppXYZ - 5 points"...) but also to make donations. But not only for apps. I suggest to offer this possibility also for the distributions. So for example how can someone donate to Radek for all his great work on QtMoko? I don't think it would be a good idea if Radek posts the data of his banking account on this list...

That is indeed a good idea. The operation of that "Store" or let's call it simply "App Index"
could work as an intermediary or trustee for such payments/donations so that such information
is kept secret (only the source code should be free).

Well, to me it appears quite simple. We have to set up such an index and
applications can be added by developery. They can choose if they would like to
see it for free or ask for donations. The "Store" part could handle such payments
by users and forward them to the developers. Maybe deducing some % handling
fee and some % for supporting new hardware development.

And, from a database perspective there isn't much difference between a
single application, a complete distribution, a CAD design and
a hardware version. It is mainly a database record per version which
stores title, shortcuts, links to web pages and downloads, author...

Authors can publish new entries or update versions and users can
search.