[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 4 13:44:33 CEST 2012

Am 04.04.2012 um 13:12 schrieb John Ogness:

> On 2012-04-04, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen <quatrox at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2012-04-04, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>> Regarding an application shop: would it be interesting to software
>>> developers to earn some money through a central shop (with portal,
>>> search facility, payment management) and for users to get higher
>>> quality applications by paying some cents? Some percentage could be
>>> used to support future hardware development. I.e. similar to the
>>> revenue sharing model of Apple?
>>
>> I like the idea.  Would this mean that the user would pay for a
>> specific feature?
>
> We should be careful here. "The spirit of a free phone" should IMHO
> not include non-free applications. I have nothing against an

Which "free" do you mean here? Free as in free beer or in free speech?

> application store so that users can easily browse for a software
> package, and with a click or two have that package downloaded,
> verified, and installed, all for some price. But that software should
> be free software as well.

I think this is a matter of license. It should be easy to define a
"license entry" and filter by e.g. GPL and availability of sources.
So technically a single system could serve all.

> That means that it is possible to use the source and build the _same_
> application without paying any fee. The cost of an application from
> such a store would exist because it is providing a convenience service
> to the end user. That service should not only include the easy of
> click-and-install, but also security, code review, support, updates.

Yes, that is the basic idea. To set up some reward system so that
application developers not only get reward points by good review.