[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Wed Apr 4 13:38:54 CEST 2012

On 04/04/2012 12:12, John Ogness wrote:

>> On 2012-04-04, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>> Regarding an application shop: would it be interesting to software
>>> developers to earn some money through a central shop

> We should be careful here. "The spirit of a free phone" should IMHO
> not include non-free applications. I have nothing against an
> application store so that users can easily browse for a software
> package, and with a click or two have that package downloaded,
> verified, and installed, all for some price. But that software should
> be free software as well.

I agree.  A nice application to install *free* software on the phone,
perhaps with reviews and other niceties, maybe even the facility to make
donations, would increase the phone's appeal to non-technical users.
However, irrespective of the freedom of the software, I think this is an
issue for distributions to attack in their own way.

I don't think there should be an "official" GTA04 application store.
Rather, I think QtMoko should have its own "QtMoko Package Store", SHR
should have its own "SHR App Downloader", etc.  Of course, it would be
wonderful if there was a combined effort to harmonise such systems :-)

The idea of an application store is likely to appeal to users who come
from systems like Android and the iPhone but I think the "store" aspect
in some ways conflicts with the "free" aspect of the GTA04.

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }