[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

John Ogness gta04 at ogness.net
Wed Apr 4 13:12:41 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-04, Flemming Richter Mikkelsen <quatrox at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2012-04-04, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>> Regarding an application shop: would it be interesting to software
>> developers to earn some money through a central shop (with portal,
>> search facility, payment management) and for users to get higher
>> quality applications by paying some cents? Some percentage could be
>> used to support future hardware development. I.e. similar to the
>> revenue sharing model of Apple?
>
> I like the idea.  Would this mean that the user would pay for a
> specific feature?

We should be careful here. "The spirit of a free phone" should IMHO
not include non-free applications. I have nothing against an
application store so that users can easily browse for a software
package, and with a click or two have that package downloaded,
verified, and installed, all for some price. But that software should
be free software as well.

That means that it is possible to use the source and build the _same_
application without paying any fee. The cost of an application from
such a store would exist because it is providing a convenience service
to the end user. That service should not only include the easy of
click-and-install, but also security, code review, support, updates.

IMHO an "official" GTA04 application store should _not_ include any
non-free software. GTA04 is not a platform for getting rich through
proprietary software. IMHO anyone who thinks it is should be
developing for the iPhone, not the GTA04.

John Ogness