[Gta04-owner] GTA04A4 Group Tour - next steps

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Apr 4 12:31:01 CEST 2012

Hi Bob,

Am 04.04.2012 um 12:14 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On 03/04/2012 18:04, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
>> We already have ordered most of the components so
>> that production is planned to start after the easter weekend.
>
> Great stuff :-)
>
> Do you have any plans for future group buys or other schemes?  Or are
> you just waiting to see what the fallout is from the present scheme?

Well, we are trying to find a better scheme, but did not make much progress.
Maybe sort of a subscription or auction scheme.

And, it is very important to come into bigger batch sizes. E.g. like OpenPandora.org.
They now produce batches in sizes of 1000 units. Exactly in the alternate factory
we have had recommended to them and which was originally planned for
our group tour with >350 units. It is located just 2 km away from my home :)

But I have analysed the whole situation and now think the key issue
for finding more potential buyers within the linux and open source
community is the lack of a really complete device.

Complete in hardware, case, preinstalled software and some application
shop. This is different for the OpenPandora. It comes (after 3 years waiting)
and user can unpack it, insert the battery and start getting fun out of it.

So we still have to work on the basics (producing a nice and very good
case and on software for daily use).

Regarding an application shop: would it be interesting to software developers
to earn some money through a central shop (with portal, search facility,
payment management) and for users to get higher quality applications by
paying some cents? Some percentage could be used to support future hardware
development. I.e. similar to the revenue sharing model of Apple?