[Gta04-owner] New kernels for gta04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Apr 2 02:37:01 CEST 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:36:38 +0200 thomasg <thomas at gstaedtner.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 08:15, NeilBrown <neilb at suse.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 07:38:40 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
> > <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Neil,

> >> Maybe we should move this to a faster server?
> >
> > Probably.
> > People keep saying "github" to me and that is probably a good suggestion.
> > And it would probably be really easy once I spent the half hour to set
> > something up.
> >
> > Maybe next release...
> >
> > NeilBrown
> >

> It'll take more like 3 minutes, and yes, it's worth it.

Are you serious?  *Nothing* that you do with a computer ever takes as little
as 3 minutes.  They are amazing time-sinks (just as cars are incredible
money sinks).

It took me at least 20 minutes to convince myself that I having forked a
project on github, I couldn't then (when that project had progressed) tell
github to pull updates from upstream -- or at least fetch them (pull with no
merge).  But it seems you cannot.
So to include upstream updates, I need to pull them all to a local machine
(which I do anyway, so no cost there), and then push them up to github
(which already has lots of copies from them).  Seems like a missing feature
to me.
So it really was a lot more like 30 minutes, but I agreee: it's worth it.

(it also seem that I cannot fork one project twice - the 'fork' button
changes to 'your fork'.  I wonder if I think that is a problem or not).

NeilBrown