[Gta04-owner] gta04 board can boot only outside freerunner case

Belisko Marek marek.belisko at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 22:54:17 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Belisko Marek <marek.belisko at gmail.com> wrote:
>> after some seconds (10) board become unresponsive (console hangs).
>> I can reproduce it 100% times. Just start booting press any key to get
>> uboot promt
>> try to type some command and it just hangs. Could be related to battery
>
> The board just hangs and is still powered on? What happens if you
> press the power button?
No action it just hangs.
Because I'm newbie I try to load qtmoko v40 but don't check boot.scr
before put SD card to board. Seems it overwrite my env in flash to wrong
values and then any command for reading from mmc fail with:
MMC: block number 0x1 exceeds max(0x0)
** Can't read from device 0 **

** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for fatload **

So despite I'm booting from mmc env is still used from nand???.
Here is my complete startup log:

Texas Instruments X-Loader 1.4.4ss (Dec 22 2011 - 15:20:29)
OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.1
Board detected: GTA04A4
Memory: Micron MCP 256MB/bank
Reading boot sector

U-Boot 2011.03-rc1 (Mar 11 2012 - 16:53:58)

OMAP3630/3730-GP ES2.1, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 Ghz
GTA04 + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
NAND:  512 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Die ID #7b0c00029ff800000163810c1701601c
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0
MMC: block number 0x1 exceeds max(0x0)
** Can't read from device 0 **

** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for fatload **

NAND read: Offset exceeds device limit
MMC: block number 0x1 exceeds max(0x0)
** Can't read from device 0 **

** Unable to use mmc 0:1 for fatload **

NAND read: Offset exceeds device limit
GTA04 #
GTA04 # pr

So now it hangs at typing print.

I try to remove board out of cover (caused some problems at the beginning)
but got same results.

Not sure if my board could be somehow broken?

>> Can I hack battery connector to connect normal power supply and don't
>> damage board?
>
> Depending on the equipment available you can try to:
> - Use a laboratory power supply:
> Connect it to the battery springs, either directly (do not bend them
> too much!) or from behind through the connector. Then set the voltage
> to about 4V and set the current limiter to > 1A. Switch the power on
> and use a multimeter to measure the real voltage available at the
> spring contacts. Increase the voltage until you get "real" 4V" at the
> contacts. Then the board should boot without battery.
>
> - Use an external power supply on the debug connector:
> Two pins of the debug connector are wired to the AC charge path.
> Connect a 5V, >=1A power supply to these contacts (jou can use the
> RS232 cable, if available). This setup will only boot with a battery.
>
> Regards,
>  Christoph

regards,

marek