[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

Butrus Damaskus butrus.butrus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:01:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>> (Yes, I am not excited with increasing the costs for virtually no effect...)
>
> I am also not happy with a complex hardware solution for a copyright
> issue...
>
> But freedom has its price, hasn't it?

Well, frankly, I don't really see really how having a closed-source
firmware locked in MCU would help my freedom. On contrary, think about
a case where a security bug would be found in the FW - you shurely
would want to have the choice upgrade it (even though it is not free
and is problematic wrt to its distribution).

Yes, I can understand FSF to some degree - clearly distributing the
binary FW can be problematic (but this depends mainly on the exact
licence of the FW, it can also be without any problem at all). So if
_only_ a distribution of the binary blob is a problem I would say to
make do it via the flash as I described before - you will be, anyway,
distributing (i.e. flashing) the bootloader to any device sold, won't
you?