[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Sep 19 13:24:06 CEST 2011

Am 19.09.2011 um 12:23 schrieb Bob Ham:

> On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 11:06 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>
> Surely the best approach, in terms of freedom should be increasing
> everybody's freedom by using a free firmware,

The real problem is that there are no really small WiFi/Bluetooth combo chips
on the market where the source code of the firmware is open. They
simply don't exist. Or are hidden behind other obstacles (minimum order
quantities).

This is the other approach started by the OLPC project - write a completely
free implementation of the firmware from scratch.

If enough developers volunteer to complete what OLPC has started, this
would IMHO be the better approach. Since it allows everyone to use the
non-free BLOB without unnecessary hardware. Until we have a free alternative.

BTW: the Gumstix people could also be interested since the Overo also uses
the same WiFi/BT combo.

Anyone here with good connections?