[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Mon Sep 19 12:25:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 11:06:40 +0200 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 19.09.2011 um 09:52 schrieb Butrus Damaskus:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
> > <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> >> 4. FSF is interested in removing the non-free libertas firmware from the
> >> rootfs. So they suggested to put it into a small MCU. If you are interested,
> >> please read the project proposal and apply:
> >>
> >>        http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/page/FirmwareInjector/
> >
> > Hm, how big is the firmware? Cannot this be solved in another way then
>
> approx. 128 kByte.
>
> > by adding components -
> > (e.g. reserving a special RO partition in the flash reserved for the
> > firmware and distributing the boards already with it)?
>
> I have discussed that with RMS - and it is not permitted to be user-changeable
> by not so easy means. The idea is that is must be "like hardware".

I wasn't going to say anything at first but.... this is insane.
How does it increase any freedom to make a firmware update harder?

I understand there are issues with distributing firmware blobs together with
Free Software and pushing the blob into hardware might remove those issues.
But there are other ways to resolve those issues by simply creating separate
distribution channels.

What does "is it not permitted" mean in this connect?  Who won't give whom
what permission, and for what reason is that permission required?

I'm a big believe in freedom and I want the freedom to update firmware easily.

NeilBrown