[Gta04-owner] Status GTA04 EA

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Mon Sep 19 12:23:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-19 at 11:06 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:

> Some MCU sits on the MMC/SDIO interface and
> tries to inject the WiFi firmware.

> > (Yes, I am not excited with increasing the costs for virtually no effect...)
>
> I am also not happy with a complex hardware solution for a copyright
> issue...
>
> But freedom has its price, hasn't it?

Perhaps I'm being obtuse here but how does burning non-free firmware
onto a chip help freedom compared to having the same non-free firmware
on a rewritable chip?

To me, this seems absurd.  It's as if you were forced to carry around a
big iron ball and instead of carrying it in your hands, you attach a
chain to it and clamp it to your leg but then go around saying to people
'I'm free you know!'

Surely the best approach, in terms of freedom should be increasing
everybody's freedom by using a free firmware, as opposed to one person
obeying the restrictions of the non-free firmware and then building a
big electronic wall around the binary so people can basically pretend
that the Wi-Fi chip manufacturer hasn't restricted their freedom?

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }