[Gta04-owner] Status

John Ogness gta04 at ogness.net
Sun Sep 4 00:25:56 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-02, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Our ALSA board config is in sound/soc/omap/gta04.c

It seems to me that you are trying to use multiple dai_links for the
various codecs. This will not work because each codec has its own
device ops and you can only have one codec device per soc-audio
platform device. (Each codec assumes that platform_get_drvdata() will
yield it's own soc device.) As far as I can tell, multiple dai links
are only useful if a single codec chip provides multiple audio
functionality.

By calling platform_device_alloc() and platform_device_add() for each
codec, it is possible to create multiple ALSA cards. In my opinion,
this is the correct procedure since the various codecs have nothing to
do with each other.

On a separate note, the 2.6.32 kernel has several incorrect settings
regarding the McBSP. (In particular, the size of the FIFO's.) If you
really want to stick with this kernel, then I would also send some
patches to fix up the McBSP code to match the reality of the hardware.

Is "_git at git.goldelico.com:gta04-kernel.git" the official place to
find the current code? Or should I put together patches based on some
other kernel source?

John Ogness