[Gta04-owner] wooden case version 2

Glenn glenn.mh.dk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 10:41:03 CEST 2011

On 27/10/11 19.01, Radek Polak wrote:
> Hi,
> this my second version of wooden case for GTA04:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/114961040002008630266/GTA04WoodenCase
>
> I have learned a lot while making this version and i think version 3 will be
> much better - with current bugs fixed.
>
> The main problems in this version are:
>
> - i measured wrongly the hole for display so it's fixed with sticks
> - the whole thing can be made of 2 pieces of wood instead of doing bevel from
> sticks
> - borders can be probably much more thin and the whole case can be 1cm smaller
> - the surface is so ugly because i used old paint which does not dry and is
> getting dirty
> - the hole for usb is just quick hack
> - missing buttons and hole for jack
>
> But otherwise the wood material is very pleasant to touch and is also very
> lightweight (though Apple fans tried to convince me that aluminium is lighter
> ;-)
>
> Regards
>
> Radek

Hi Radek

Very original - considered it is a smart phone. I have trouble writing
retro smart phone. ;-)

-

Inspired by your choice, I would add that the wood ought to be
waterproofed/marine plywood - or at least plywood with waterproof
adhesive. The (ply)wood might to be "painted" with natural linseed oil
(without tar) [1] to keep moisture out. Moisture will convert radio
signals to heat.

Maybe one can make self-made plywood from thin teak sheets or...

The reason for plywood is, that it is - or is supposedly warping stable.
And plywood has a lot less chance of cracking, because of the fiber
criss crossing.

For (ply)wood:
* strong
* floats if dropped in water ;-)

Against:
* strong heat isolation - the battery and other chips might sometimes
have heat problem

-

Do you know that wood is a composite material? [2]

It is made of polymerized sugar; cellulose (the strong fiber, "iron
rebar"-feature) and lignin ("concrete"-feature) that keeps the fibers
together. Heartwood has high lignin content.  Especially ironwood and
mahogany has a very high lignin content, which is why it has higher dry
density than water. Higher lignin contents means higher moisure
resistance and that is why heartwood is the choice for wooden window frames.

br,

Glenn

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil