[Gta04-owner] Upgrading from stable to testing?

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Fri Oct 28 16:05:52 CEST 2011

Hi Neil,

Am 28.10.2011 um 15:55 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:24:32 +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
>
>> Perhaps unwisely, I did a general upgrade to testing, and the result now is
>> that I can't ssh into the new system...
>
> Disregarding my specific SSH problem, which is probably just config somewhere, is there any general reason why it would be a bad idea to upgrade the GTA04's Debian

it is most likely a config issue. Some ideas:
1. ssh needs resolv.conf to work a little
2. you can't login as root (even if there is no password) unless there is some insecurity setting for ssh
3. upgrading may overwrite (instead of merging in) existing config, so it may be in the state how the Debian developers think it is most safe

You can check the files we have patched:

http://download.goldelico.com/gta04/20110926-GTA04A3-HW-Tester/config.tgz

> rootfs to testing?  Are there any specific package upgrades which are known or expected to be problematic?

I am not sure if the 2.6.32 kernel is compatible with some udev upgrades and changes that may already be in testing.
But I think the incompatibilities between Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.2x) and Sqeeze were bigger.

> Also (and slightly relatedly), regarding trying out the 3.1 kernel: is it sufficient to unpack the modules into the existing rootfs, and install the uImage in the FAT partition?

Yes, that should be sufficient. You may need to run depmod -a once but the device should do the first boot without. Maybe some script in the Debian boot process calls depmod -a automatically.