[Gta04-owner] xf86-video-omap

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak dos at dosowisko.net
Wed Oct 26 23:38:23 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 23:24, Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:23:00 +0100, Neil Jerram wrote:
>
>> Adding "omapfb.rotate=3 omapfb.vrfb=y", I again see the small Linux
>> penguin rotated, but this time the Linux boot screen is stable, and
>> eventually I even see the console login prompt appearing.  A fraction
>> of a second after that, though, the whole screen goes yellow, and
>> stays like that.
>
> I have a little more to report about this - i.e. attempting to get a
> landscape UI.
>
> I noticed (via ssh) that after X has started up, $(cat
> /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay0/output_size) had changed to
> "640,480", whereas before - when showing the Linux boot screen - it was
> "480,640".  The following commands can be used to change it back to
> "480,640":
>
> echo 0 > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay0/enabled
> echo "480,640" > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay0/output_size
> echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/omapdss/overlay0/enabled
>
> Then the uniform yellow disappears and is replaced by a garbled version of
> the blue LXDE desktop.  The nature of the garbling is that only about the
> top half of the (landscape-oriented) screen is predominantly blue, and no
> details within this can be clearly made out; the bottom half of the screen
> is black.  In other words it looks as though the whole desktop is somehow
> being mapped incorrectly to just the top half of the screen.
>
> But nevertheless, setting output_size to "480,640" seems to be a step in the
> right direction.
>
> Then I thought this (incorrect output_size setting) might be a bug in the X
> omap driver (xserver-xorg-video-omap3) and that it would be worth trying the
> Debian testing version instead of stable.  Perhaps unwisely, I did a general
> upgrade to testing, and the result now is that I can't ssh into the new
> system...  (The 192.168.0.202 address responds to ping, so I think this is
> just an SSH config problem.  Probably I can fix it by editing the SD card on
> my laptop, but I haven't looked at that yet.)  I didn't change the kernel at
> all.
>
> I may put this landscape UI attempt on the backburner for a while now, but
> if anyone has comments or suggestions, they would be welcome.
>
> Regards,
>        Neil

xf86-video-omapfb doesn't have support for VRFB rotation by default.
There is patch which adds this functionality, but it's incomplete -
there's no XV acceleration in landscape mode. You can try it:

http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/openembedded-devel/2011-September/034773.html

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak
dos