[Gta04-owner] barebox (uboot v2) on the gta04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Tue Oct 25 08:59:42 CEST 2011

Am 24.10.2011 um 22:25 schrieb Johannes Schauer:

> Hi,
>
> I just booted barebox on my gta04 using the beagleboard config. Compared
> to uboot, barebox looks a lot cleaner and better structured, borrowing
> bits from uboot as well as linux and POSIX shell environment but I guess
> this is a matter of personal taste. Sadly it fails to initialize mcc

Yes, I also love the idea of barebox. Having a single-process POSIX :)
But it was not ripe enough for development of the GTA04 (we did need a
reliable solution for doing hardware development and debugging).

> (fails to do a softreset).

OOps.

> I grepped through your commits to uboot but couldnt find any changes to
> how mmc was handled. Are there changes? I was unable to find a document

No. The MMC code is the same as for the beagleboard. What we have added
are some commands (to control display, touch etc.). But these are all in the
board specific subdirectory, so that they work independently of any changes in
the U-Boot mainline.

I think there were two or three patches to make it work on the DM3730 but that
was taken from the BeagleBoard XM code.

> which would list those changes compared to the beagleboard. Does there
> exist such a writeup? If yes, how would I have found it myself?

You could go through the git commits and check which files have been changed.
Or if you want to see changes for a specific file there should also be a git command.

What may influence operation and differs between the BeagleBoard
and the GTA04: the pinmux. With using the wrong pinmux (or the pinmux
of the BeagleBoard) the GTA04 would most likely come up to a console prompt
but most peripherals would malfunction.