[Gta04-owner] Phoenux drained and resuscitated

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Sat Oct 22 11:45:20 CEST 2011

Interesting...

A few minutes ago my Phoenux wouldn't boot, and I started writing an
email to say that I thought the battery was drained, and to ask what to
do about that.  I know there was a recent email from Nikolaus that
covered this in detail - and which left me with the impression that it
was not an easily recoverable situation - but I can't seem to find it.

But I left the phone plugged into my laptop USB anyway, and after a few
minutes, it started a series of reboot attempts, with each attempt
apparently getting slightly further than the previous one.  (Through the
sequence of (1) initial white screen, (2) Golden Delicious big penguin
screen, (3) Blank screen with small penguin in top left corner.)

On about the fourth attempt, the boot reached stage (3), and then
continued successfully.  So it seems that if it gets as far as booting
Linux, it's over the hump.

Then I immediately ssh'd in to look at the battery status:

gta04:~# cat
/sys/bus/platform/devices/twl4030-bci-battery/power_supply/twl4030_bci_battery/uevent
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=twl4030_bci_battery
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Charging
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=3
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=3222
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_NOW=1615
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=20
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=29

I guess - but don't really know - that these figures (voltage, current,
capacity) are low enough to support the theory that the initial failure
to boot was because of battery drainage.  Does that sound right?

Anyway, at the end of the day all is well, and it looks as though
battery drainage is not as unrecoverable as I had thought it might be.

Regards,
        Neil