[Gta04-owner] xf86-video-omap

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Oct 22 11:18:17 CEST 2011

Am 21.10.2011 um 15:36 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 14:52:50 +0200, Christoph Mair wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Neil Jerram
>> <neil at ossau.homelinux.net> wrote:
>>> It looks like rotation might be as simple as adding omapfb.rotate=3 to the
>>> boot command line.
>>>
>>> Do you know if it's generally safe to play with this kind of thing?  Or do I
>>> risk frying my components?
>>
>> I think your components are safe. All this happens inside the OMAP
>> SoC, so no external compoment should be destroyed.
>>
>> IIRC there was a empty rotate method somewhere in the driver/kernel
>> source, but I might be wrong. Just try what happens!
>
> Thanks, I will try it.
>
> In the meantime, I have another possibly display-related query.  My GTA04 takes more than 2 minutes to boot, which is longer than I've seen e.g. in the youtube video.  dmesg shows a very large corresponding time gap:

> [   25.807617] Bluetooth: SCO (Voice Link) ver 0.6
> [   25.812194] Bluetooth: SCO socket layer initialized
> [  131.530853] OMAPFB: pan_display(0)
> [  131.530853] OMAPFB: setcmap
>
> Does this indicate a problem?

I think it can be a problem in network configuration.

The reason is that the X server (or some other component in
the boot process) tries to resolve the hostname through the
network connection. This may take quite a long
timeout if no network is enabled...

What to do:
1. define some hostname in /etc/hostname
2. make sure it is exactly found in /etc/hosts and resolves to 127.0.0.1
3. define all networks not to block the boot process /etc/network/interfaces

It could also be some issue with the depmod database. Try
depmod -a to rebuild.