[Gta04-owner] GTA04A3 System Manual

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Oct 12 11:23:31 CEST 2011

Am 12.10.2011 um 10:33 schrieb Neil Jerram:

> On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:12:31 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Am 11.10.2011 um 23:41 schrieb NeilBrown:
>>
>>> 5.14.1
>>>   modifies the boot sequence of the built-in boot loaded.
>>>
>>> Should be "... built-in boot *loader*"
>>
>> That shows me how careful you study the document :)
>
> Oh yes. :-)
>
> Regarding CE conformity (and I guess FCC, for US folk), do you plan to get that approval?  My guess is that you definitely would want this for GTA04A4 - since it looks like that will be more "mass-market".  Will it be possible to organize the GTA04A4 approval so that it covers GTA04A3 as well?

Good question. The final CE measurements are scheduled for the next weeks and most likely are done on a A3 unit.
For FCC we first have to learn how complex this is. At least it is much more paperwork and probably needs much more
time. Maybe someone who is experienced in this area can help. There is also some sunshine in this topic: the
UMTS and WLAN modules are already pre-certified and have their own FCC-IDs. So we just have to prove that
the integration of the real radio transmitters doesn't harm and the non-radio parts don't radiate too much.

> My other overall thought about the manual was concerning the "NC" part of the license.  I have a feeling the list might have discussed this before - in which case apologies for not checking that first - and I don't have much standing to ask you to contribute more to the world than you already have; however you may like to consider:
>
> 1. Would you have been able to do the work that you've done on GTA04, if the license for Openmoko's documentation had had a non-commercial restriction?

Yes. The only task would have been to ask Sean for permission, before copying any material. We could have
still *used* the material by reading it. Like you can buy a (copyrighted) text book about embedded systems
and design your own. Anyways, we have not even copied anything from the GTA01/02 material
(except that we redistribute the CAD files from our server)...

> 2. Is the "NC" an important part of protection against competition for you?  Even by using all the docs, I really doubt if any other organization could ramp up to your level of expertise quickly enough to compete with your GTA04 business.

Well, the license only covers the PDF *document* as it is. Not the hardware nor software nor
concepts nor ideas. That is the area of patents and not copyright. Therefore it is simply not
covered by such licenses. The Free&Open-Hardware community is heavily working on
defining something similar to GPL for hardware - but it is not simple.

So in my interpretation, the NC clause only restricts that someone prints 1000 of these documents
and asks for money. Or copies some pages verbatim into a book. But he/she can always ask for
permission and we do not plan to use it restrictively.

And it prohibits that this document is listed on some strange web sites where people ask money
for a link to download a copy with their logo added as a watermark...

> 3. Just in case someone could ramp up and do something similar to GTA04, could that in fact be better for both you (goldelico) and us (the community)?
>
> (I like Nina Paley's blog about this (general) question, at http://blog.ninapaley.com/2010/08/31/four-freedoms-of-free-culture/.)

Inspiring points of view!

But it does not give any arguments about the NC clause. For the ND clause I agree,
that it limits freedom (of individuals i.e. users/owners).

My general idea about "free" is "free as in free speech, not free beer". And it is about
giving freedom to owners/users. Not freedom to the Fortune 1000. They (or their managers)
already have more than any individual.

Thanks for pointing this out,