[Gta04-owner] GTA04A3 System Manual

Neil Jerram neil at ossau.homelinux.net
Wed Oct 12 10:33:53 CEST 2011

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:12:31 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
> Am 11.10.2011 um 23:41 schrieb NeilBrown:
>
>> 5.14.1
>>    modifies the boot sequence of the built-in boot loaded.
>>
>> Should be "... built-in boot *loader*"
>
> That shows me how careful you study the document :)

Oh yes. :-)

Regarding CE conformity (and I guess FCC, for US folk), do you plan to
get that approval?  My guess is that you definitely would want this for
GTA04A4 - since it looks like that will be more "mass-market".  Will it
be possible to organize the GTA04A4 approval so that it covers GTA04A3
as well?

My other overall thought about the manual was concerning the "NC" part
of the license.  I have a feeling the list might have discussed this
before - in which case apologies for not checking that first - and I
don't have much standing to ask you to contribute more to the world than
you already have; however you may like to consider:

1. Would you have been able to do the work that you've done on GTA04,
if the license for Openmoko's documentation had had a non-commercial
restriction?

2. Is the "NC" an important part of protection against competition for
you?  Even by using all the docs, I really doubt if any other
organization could ramp up to your level of expertise quickly enough to
compete with your GTA04 business.

3. Just in case someone could ramp up and do something similar to
GTA04, could that in fact be better for both you (goldelico) and us (the
community)?

(I like Nina Paley's blog about this (general) question, at
http://blog.ninapaley.com/2010/08/31/four-freedoms-of-free-culture/.)

Respectfully,
         Neil