[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc3 on GTA04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Wed Nov 30 23:33:38 CET 2011

On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 08:47:01 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> Am 30.11.2011 um 08:08 schrieb NeilBrown:
>
> > On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:34:09 +0100 "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller"
> > <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:

> >> I think we also have added:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel/commit/d8c5533f5695ec948dea89fba332144644584680#arch/arm/kernel/process.c
> >
> > Ahh... I think that is "wrong".  i.e. it'll never go upstream.
>
> Well, it made "halt" do what (apparently we all) are thinking it
> should do :)
>
> Especially if that is a command that easily makes the machine
> hang in a state where you can only remove the battery or
> wait until it is drained...

Doesn't holding the power button for 8 seconds force a reboot?

> Maybe we should suggest the patch (as the default halt action)
> and learn the arguments against it?

It turns out the that default halt action can be adjusted by
modifying the /etc/init.t/halt script.

So that is probably the best way forward.

This won't affect "halt -f", but when you use --force, you should expect to
get exactly what you asked for.

> > I don't see the point in running lots of shutdown scripts - when I want to
> > power off, I want it of *now* :-)
>
> Sometimes these scripts do a cleanup you have forgotten or don't
> even know about it... Most importantly they do a sync.

The thing is that my phone needs to survive falling out of my pocket and the
battery jumping out - it happens much more often than I like :-(

So if there are going to be problems with sudden unclean shutdown, I want to
find out about them during testing :-)

NeilBrown