[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc3 on GTA04

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Nov 30 07:34:09 CET 2011

Am 30.11.2011 um 01:48 schrieb NeilBrown:

> On Wed, 30 Nov 2011 00:17:04 +0000 Neil Jerram <neil at ossau.homelinux.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On 28.11.2011 23:58, Neil Jerram wrote:
>>
>> A few other things to report...
>>
>> 1. I don't think the phone is shutting down fully when I say "shutdown
>> -h now" and then remove the USB cable, whereas the hw-validation kernel
>> did.  Is it a known problem?  If not, is there something I can do to pin
>> it down more precisely?
>
> Yes, I noticed that too.
>
> The only strategy I know of to get more info is to read the code, try to
> follow what is meant to happen, and put in "printk" statements to find out
> what actually happens.
>
> (... uses "git grep" a bit a looks around ....)
>
> The key information is the "pm_power_off" variable.
> Something needs to set this to make power_off happen.
> In the hw-validation kernel, drivers/mfd/twl4030-power.c
> sets it.  In the mainline kernel nothing does.

I think we also have added:

https://github.com/goldelico/gta04-kernel/commit/d8c5533f5695ec948dea89fba332144644584680#arch/arm/kernel/process.c

> It seems that twl4030-power.c in mainline contains twl4030_remove_script
> which is never used.  Maybe that is meant to do something.
> Or maybe we just need to copy twl4030_poweroff from the hw kernel and use
> that.  Need to read the twl4030 data sheets and figure out what the two
> routines are doing.

If I remember correctly, these scripts can be empty (length 0). But if they
are NULL, the twl4030 code that can initialize the pm_power_off variable
is never called.

Thanks for your great work on the mainline kernel!