[Gta04-owner] GTA04 Video Playback

John Ogness gta04 at ogness.net
Tue Nov 29 12:07:22 CET 2011

On 2011-11-29, Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <GNUtoo at no-log.org> wrote:
>> I have seen excellent performance. (CPU loads of 12% while playing
>> 1366x768 video at 29fps.)
>
> What was the setup?

I used DVSDK 4.00.00.22 [1]. For the GStreamer plugin [2], I used the
DDOMPE branch [3].

> Because I was myself disapointed by the performance of the omap 3530
> DSPs using gst-dsp.
>  * poor format compatibility.

Yes, the DSP is relatively strict about what formats it will
accept. (Whereas mplayer/ffmpeg will swallow anything that even
remotely looks like a video stream.)

>  * some more CPU angry(than the one that worked) were not played.

Yes, the "official" GStreamer plugin from TI seems to eat up a lot of
CPU. Compiling the version from the DDOMPE branch provided significant
CPU reduction.

John Ogness

[1] http://software-dl.ti.com/dsps/dsps_public_sw/sdo_sb/targetcontent/dvsdk/DVSDK_4_00/4_00_00_22/index_FDS.html

[2] https://gstreamer.ti.com/gf/project/gstreamer_ti/