[Gta04-owner] Additional RAM free for everyone!

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Tue Nov 29 00:13:40 CET 2011

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 23:26:43 +0100 Christoph Mair <christoph.mair at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello EA-board owners!
>
> Now that I have your attention, I have bad news for you:
>
>    there is no free RAM. You have to pay for it.
>
> The good news is: you already did so. You just have to use what you paid for.
>
> You may have noticed that your GTA04 was advertised with 512MiB of
> RAM, but u-boot and linux told you that only 256MiB are actually
> installed.
> Here is how to double that amount with three easy steps:
>
> 1) Get a copy of the newest x-loader binary: http://chonyota.net/gta04/MLO
> 2) Update your boot partition to use the new x-loader. It should work
> if you just overwrite your MLO. No need to create a new partition
> (please make a backup of the old MLO anyway).
> 3) Boot and be happy!
>
> As an additional bonus, the memory frequency is now 200MHz, not 166MHz
> what it used to be, but I still have to make sure that the linux
> kernel does not touch the timings later on. I have not checked that
> yet.

 From dmesg:

[    0.000000] Reserving 12582912 bytes SDRAM for VRAM
[    0.000000] On node 0 totalpages: 128000
[    0.000000] Memory: 500MB = 500MB total

and from /proc/meminfo

MemTotal:         485552 kB

So I have 512Meg of RAM, 12Meg used for VRAM leaving 500.
Then about 26 Meg goes to the kernel (12Meg I think) and various fixed-size
tables I guess
I have a full 485Meg left to do whatever I like with!  Awesome.

Thanks a lot.

(not that I had noticed problems with running out or memory yet, but I
suspect I would in time...)

NeilBrown