[Gta04-owner] GTA04 Video Playback

John Ogness gta04 at ogness.net
Mon Nov 28 23:22:25 CET 2011

On 2011-11-28, Denis Shulyaka <shulyaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has already tested the video playback performance
> on a GTA04? Can it handle 640x480 at 25 full-screen video using
> mplayer?  It's one of the features that I miss very much on my
> GTA02.

If support for the DSP core is added, you will have no problems
playing videos at full resolution and full framerate.

I have worked with similar chips (OMAP3530) and using the Texas
Instruments DVSDK development kit, I have seen excellent
performance. (CPU loads of 12% while playing 1366x768 video at 29fps.)

I do not know the current status of the DSP bridge [1] work, nor do I
know the current status of the work of Felipe Contreras [2]. But I am
hoping that these solutions will be able to provide
hardware-accelerated video decoding for the DM3730 platform. Once I
actually get may hands on a GTA04, my interest in this subject will
increase dramatically. So hopefully we hit the 350 order mark for
February!

[1] http://omappedia.org/wiki/DSPBridge_Project
[2] https://github.com/felipec/gst-dsp/commits/master/tidsp

John Ogness