[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc2 on GTA04

NeilBrown neilb at suse.de
Fri Nov 25 23:46:52 CET 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 23:40:09 +0100 Johannes Schauer <j.schauer at email.de>
wrote:

> another thing i'm playing with is the display resolution. currently it
> omapfb.mode=lcd:640x480 which is of course wrong and distorts half of
> the display output. I changed it to omapfb.mode=lcd:480x640 which made
> the output of the linux penguin during bootup show up correctly but xorg
> is now believing to have a 1024x768 display - wtf?? of course one only
> sees the top left corner of the 1024x768 screen on the display...
>
> what fixed this issue for the 3.1 kernel was:
> https://gitorious.org/gta04/gta04-kernel/commit/0e0a2d8bb2461c3effe3a01955f65118b4f63177
> but i guess the video= argument is now replaced by omapfb.mode ?

Having looked at the code, I suggest trying without and mode setting argument
at all.

Both the omapfb.mode= and video= setting look up the requested mode in the
"modedb" - a data base of common modes.  This does not contain 480x640.
The smallest mode that fits 480x640 is presumably 1024x768 which is why you
get that.

The default mode on the td028ttec1 is 480x640 which will be used if you don't
request anything - I suspect that is what is wanted.
I booted without any mode setting arguments and now:

gta04:~# fbset

mode "480x640-65"
    # D: 22.000 MHz, H: 42.308 kHz, V: 65.290 Hz
    geometry 480 640 480 640 32
    timings 45454 8 24 2 4 8 2
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

which looks sensible.  I don't have an LCD attached though.

NeilBrown