[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc2 on GTA04

Johannes Schauer j.schauer at email.de
Tue Nov 22 16:18:45 CET 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 10:32:41PM +1100, NeilBrown wrote:
> Hi, I decided that the only kernel that I really wanted to run on my
> Phoenux is current mainline (plus necessary patches of course).

ACK

> You can see my current code at
>    git://neil.brown.name/gta04
> The 'merge' branch is a merge of several other branches, currently
>  gta04 i2c bq27000 twl4030-irq power
> some of which are tidier than others.
> Also visible at
>    http://neil.brown.name/git/gta04
> but remember to select the "head" that you want.
>
> You can get my config with
>    make gta04a3_defconfig

what toolchain are you using? I'm using gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi
emdebian toolchain and got an ICE when trying to "make modules" on the
"merge" branch. It seems to be this error:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/gcc-linaro/+bug/623945 but turning off
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED was a workaround that made the whole thing
cross-compile (in case someone else is running into it).

> This is largely based on David's 3.1 based kernel.  I haven't added
> anything not in there - just fixed things and removed cruft.  e.g. I'm
> using the mainline twl4030_charger rather than the older
> twl4030_bci_charger.

It boots and loads my rootfs just fine but the display is remaining dark.

But my dm and Xorg and e17 are starting properly, the processes are
running and I can't see any errors in the logs.

When using a strong flashlight I can see the display content so I guess
it's a problem with the backlight?

Before X is starting the boot logo (the penguin) show up properly.

The backlight was working properly with david's 3.1 kernel - is it
working for you?

In the log I see messages like:

[  391.415924] td028ttec1_panel_suspend()
[  391.437957] gta04_disable_lcd()
[  395.173248] td028ttec1_panel_resume()

But it remains black.

Thanks for your efforts!

cheers, josch