[Gta04-owner] Linux 3.2-rc2 on GTA04

Christoph Mair christoph.mair at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 16:50:29 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 3:50 PM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
<hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
> Am 21.11.2011 um 12:32 schrieb NeilBrown:

>> The next big thing I want to work on is proper integration of the LED
>> controller - with the 'wlan reset' line looking like a GPIO output rather
>> than an LED :-)
>
> Does this matter?
In my opinion: yes.

> IMHO it is
>
>        echo "const1" >somepath and
>        echo "const2" >somepath
>
> So user space daemons should be able to be configured so that it matches
> whatever the hardware/kernel needs.
>
> My idea of the TCA6507 driver was to provide a general I2C LED driver similar
> to others. This makes it much more useful to others and raises chance of being
> accepted upstream.
>
> That we mis-use one of the outputs as a WLAN reset, should IMHO not be
> hard-coded in the kernel or drivers. It could change for future hardware revisions.
> E.g. if we use a WLAN module without reset. Or assign a real GPIO.
Nevertheless, if the TCA6507 driver would for example look for a
platform_data structure which defines which output is used as GPIO or
as LED, it sould be acceptable anyways.
In my opinion, the main difference between a LED and a GPIO output is
the following: a GPIO does not have a brightness or (probably) should
not fade in or out. And this should be handled in software.

Best regards,
  Christohp